- American Physical Society Sites
- Meetings & Events
- Policy & Advocacy
- Careers In Physics
- About APS
- Become a Member
How many tenure-track or tenured faculty -- male/female?
How many graduate students-- male/female?
How many post doctoral associates - male/female?
Is there a family leave policy for graduate students? If so, describe.
The University has no formal policy. The Department works with each student to provide appropriate leave or decrease in responsibilities as needed by the student.
Is there family health insurance for graduate students? If so, is it included in the stipend?
Yes. The university pays part of the cost of the insurance.
Please describe why someone applying to graduate school who is interested in a female-friendly department should choose your department.
This answer was written by a female professor.
1. The department as a whole has created a comfortable atmosphere for female students and faculty.
2. The students would have an immediate access to role models - in terms of both research and personal life.
3. Many male faculty members have "raised" female Ph.D students.
4. Manhattan is a safe and culturally rich town.
Has the institution had a Climate for Women in Physics Site Visit or Gender Equity Conversation?
Updated: August 25, 2009