Who is this Well-known American Physicist?
- studied meteorology at the Albany Academy
- established a national system of observation stations across the U.S.
- persuaded Congress to establish a Department of Meteorology
However, he is most remembered for his discoveries in magnetism.He was:
- Professor of Natural Philosophy at the College of New Jersey (now know as Princeton University)
- elected as the First Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, President of the AAAS, the National Academy of Sciences and the Philosophical Society of Washington, D.C., among other positions
Do you have interesting historic photographs of physicists or meetings? Please send them to:
Editor, APS News
One Physics Ellipse
College Park, MD 20740
We will see that they get to the Emilio Segre Visual Archives of the Center for History of Physics at Niels Bohr Library.Give up?
Answer: Joseph Henry
©1995 - 2015, AMERICAN PHYSICAL SOCIETY
APS encourages the redistribution of the materials included in this newspaper provided that attribution to the source is noted and the materials are not truncated or changed.