To Advance and Diffuse the Knowledge of Physics
100 Years of the American Physical Society
|Typists had to attach special "harp" keys whenever they needed to insert scientific notation into the article.|
Editors of the Physical Review have always been on the lookout for innovations that would improve communication. In 1957, Samuel Goudsmit saw that use of typewriter composition and offset printing instead of hot metal and letterpress would speed up the production of Physical Review Letters. He later introduced computer composition.
Cartoon on Publishing a Journal
Editor Simon Pasternak's blackboard, circa 1976, showing errors found in manuscripts submitted for publication.
In 1994, the Physical Review set up their first website. Since then, all Physical Review publications have been placed on-line. The editorial office also inaugurated PROLA, the Physical Review On-Line Archive, and two electronic journals, Physical Review Focus and Special Topics-Accelerators and Beams (STAB).
|Curator:||Sara Schechner Genuth
|Exhibit Director:||Barrett Ripin|
|APS History:||Harry Lustig|
|Journals History:||R. Mark Wilson|
|Exhibit Design:||Puches Design Inc.|
©1995 - 2016, AMERICAN PHYSICAL SOCIETY
APS encourages the redistribution of the materials included in this newspaper provided that attribution to the source is noted and the materials are not truncated or changed.
Associate Editor: Jennifer Ouellette