M. Hildred Blewett Fellowship
Application Deadline: June 1
To enable women to return to physics research careers after having had to interrupt those careers. The fellowship consists of a one-year award of up to $45,000 (applicants can apply in a subsequent year for one additional year of support). Allowed expenses include dependent care (limited to 50% of the award), salary, travel, equipment, and tuition and fees. Overhead charges by the institution are not allowed.
Frequently Asked Questions
History of the Award
The award was established from a generous bequest from M. Hildred Blewett, an accelerator physicist who died in 2004. Hildred Blewett was passionate about physics and wanted to help women overcome obstacles by establishing the fellowship.
Eligibility & Selection Criteria
- Currently be a citizen, legal resident, or resident alien of the United States or Canada.
- Have completed work toward a Ph.D.
- Provide written proof from a U.S. or Canadian institution that the applicant will have institutional affiliation during the tenure of the grant. Institutional affiliation at the time of application is not necessary.
If applicants have questions regarding their eligibility, or special circumstances they would like to discuss, they should contact APS at (301) 209-3231 or email@example.com.
In selecting fellowship recipients, the following criteria will be considered:
- Qualifications of applicant,
- Status of career before break,
- Steps the applicant has taken to return to physics research,
- Relationship of the applicant to the research community,
- Relationship of project and award to future plans,
- Scholarly significance of the project,
- Quality and feasibility of the project design and timeline.
Deadline: June 1
All applications must be received by June 1. Applications will be reviewed by a subcommittee of the Committee on the Status of Women in Physics (CSWP).
Applicants must assemble a PDF package for their application.
PDF Application Instructions
Applicants must also arrange:
- One to three letter(s) of recommendation, one of which may be from a designated mentor, sent to Blewett@aps.org
- A letter of institutional support during the tenure of the grant sent to Blewett@aps.org
Email confirmation will be sent as we receive your application materials. If you do not receive a confirmation email within 48 hours of sending your materials, email Blewett@aps.org or call (301) 209-3231.
Questions and Information
From Fellowship Recipients
"Getting the scholarship was a great encouragement to me as a first step of bringing in funding, and to do work that excited me. My confidence and my assurance that this indeed was what I wanted to do were largely made possible by the scholarship."
"Having received this nationally competitive scholarship, and having restarted my research program, has made me a more attractive candidate for a tenure-track position... the scholarship has allowed me to start an active, independent research program."
In the Media
"Returning to Science"
Sarah Webb, Science Magazine
Interviews with women who have returned to careers in science after a break, including two Blewett Fellowship winners.
M. Hildred Blewett Fellowship Recipients