Open to undergraduate and graduate students in the United States and abroad
If you are a student member of your college or university’s Women in Physics (WiP) group, you are eligible to apply for a Women in Physics Group Grant! Successful applicants will receive up to $1,000 to start a new WiP group or enhance an existing one.
Applications are now open.
Application deadline: January 26, 2024
Follow these steps to apply for a WiP Group Grant.
Use these guidelines to assemble your proposal. Complete applications will include:
- cover letter
- descriptions of your group’s leadership structure and activities
- budget sheet
- letters of support from your faculty advisor and department chair
Please note that your faculty advisor must be an APS member. If your group is not yet an official student club, please outline your plan to become recognized by your campus.
Complete the 10-minute pre-survey and online application form, and attach your PDF proposal. You will receive an email confirmation once it has been submitted.
The following factors will be considered:
- How well the proposal fits the grant’s stated purpose
- Potential impact of creating a new group or expanding your existing group
- Focus on diversity and inclusion for students of all backgrounds
- Footprint of the group (number of members in the group, and those impacted by outreach efforts)
- Quality, creativity, and likelihood for success
Preference is given to those that have not received previous support from a WiP Group Grant.
The terms for each WiP grant are as follows:
- Group leaders must complete the 10-minute survey once while applying for the grant, and again at the end of each academic year.
- Funds will be distributed as one lump sum to a group account to be used within a one or two year period ending on October 31.
- Grant money cannot be used to cover university overhead or indirect costs.
- A brief report on activities and expenditures is required at the end of each term. A template for the report will be provided by APS. Send the report to email@example.com and copy your department chair.
- Groups will acknowledge APS support on websites, social media, and event flyers.
For additional information about the Women in Physics Group Grants program, visit the website or contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to reading your proposal.