Abstract Submission Instructions
Thank you for submitting an abstract for the APS March Meeting. A current APS membership is required for abstract submission. Please note that APS reserves the right to reject abstracts based on, but not limited to, the following criteria:
- Abstracts do not comply with style guidelines, such as excessive length
- Abstracts fall outside of the topical scope of the meeting
- Abstracts contain inappropriate content
- Repeated cancellation by submitter
STEP 1: LOG IN TO SCHOLARONE
- Use your APS web ID and password to log in to ScholarOne.
STEP 2: CREATE A NEW SUBMISSION
TIP: If you need to exit your submission and return to complete it at a later time, remember to click Save or Save & Continue on any page during the submission process.
- Click the Submission tab at the top of the screen.
- Select Create New Submission in the left sidebar.
- Enter Submission Type.
- Select Abstract Submission.
- Click Continue.
- Confirm your selection by clicking Continue With This Type. Or Choose Another Type to change your selection.
STEP 3: TITLE/BODY
Tips: All fields with an asterisk (*) are required. Images, files, and tables are not allowed. Do not use all caps in any field.
The header box at the top of this section contains important information including the submission deadline, abstract character count, and a link to these instructions.
Abstract Sizing Requirements: Title, abstract body, and funding acknowledgement should not exceed 1,300 characters total.
- Enter the title of your abstract in the Title box.
Use title case (e.g., "Abstract Submission is Fun").
Do not exceed 255 characters (APS may alter titles that exceed 255 characters).
- Enter your abstract in the Abstract Body box.
Use sentence case.
The abstract must be HTML formatted using ScholarOne's Rich Text Editor.
- If you want to acknowledge support from a grant or organization, enter it in the Funding Acknowledgement box.
Do not repeat your abstract title here.
Do not exceed 255 characters.
- Enter special instructions for sorters to review and consider in the Special Instructions box.
- Click Save & Continue.
STEP 4: PROPERTIES
- Choose the desired Presentation Type from the drop down menu: Oral or Poster.
- Choose the main Sorting Category.The sub-category drop down will appear.
- Select the sub-category.
Note: Descriptions of the sorting categories are available on the March Meeting website.
- Choose the Category Type: computational, experimental, experimental/theoretical, or theoretical.
- Click Save & Continue.
STEP 5: AUTHORS
- Only one contributed oral abstract per first author (presenter) will be accepted into the scientific program.
- Be sure to select a presenter, otherwise, the submitter will default as the presenter. If you select a presenter who is listed as a presenter on another abstract, then this abstract will be moved to a poster.
- You will automatically be listed as the first author/presenter.
- You may add additional authors and affiliations, remove an author, or reorder the author list.
- Be sure to select the Presenter by clicking the radio button next to the right of the author's order number.
- To add/search for an author, use the author's email address.
- To perform a wild card search, use * (asterisk) or % (percent) sign.
To Add Author(s):
- Click the +Add Author button. The Search for Author to Add fields will appear.
- Enter the author's email address or last name and click Search. Search results will appear.
- If the correct person is found, click +Add the left of the author's name. Move on to Add Affiliation.
If correct person is not found, click the Create An Author button.
- Enter First/Given Name, Middle,Last/Family Name, and Email.
- Click Submit Created Author.
- Add Affiliation:
- Click the Affiliation drop down box.
- If the affiliation is listed, click it. Then click Edit. Enter the Country, City, Department, and State/Province. Then click Submit Updated Institution. Note: You must edit the institution for each author, even if the institution is already listed.
- If the affiliation is not listed, select Create New Institution. Enter all fields: Institution, country, city, department, and state/province. Then click Submit Created Institution.
- Repeat for remaining authors.
To Reorder Authors:
When all authors are entered, you must put them in the order they should appear on the abstract and program.
- Choose the correct number order using the drop down boxes in the far left column.
- Click the Update Author Order button.
- Enter team names for authors where results are shared and combined into one original work. For example: COMPASS or LIGO.
- Click Save & Continue
Note: If information has been omitted, you will be asked to return to the Author screen to make corrections.
STEP 6: REVIEW & SUBMIT
- Review your submission information. If any information needs to be updated, click the Edit button next to the step name.
- Click the View Proof link at bottom of screen to view a proof of your abstract in a new window. To print, click the View/Print as PDF button at the top of the proof window.
- Once you have reviewed everything, click the Submit button. If submitted successfully, you will receive an email confirmation.
- You will automatically be redirected to the View Submissions home screen.
To Edit a Draft:
- Navigate to the Submissions page and scroll down to the Drafts section.
- Under Action next to the abstract you'd like to edit, click Select to show the drop down menu.
- Click Edit Draft or Delete.
To Edit a Completed Submission:
- Select the abstract or nomination you'd like to edit.
- Click Edit/Return to Draft from the drop down menu.
- Click Yes, Move to Draft.
- Make necessary edits then click Save & Continue to move through the submission process.
You can Save the abstract as a draft at any time.
- Click Resubmit to submit your abstract or nomination.
IMPORTANT: Once the abstract submission deadline passes (Friday, October 26 at 11:59 p.m. ET), you will not be able to submit any new submissions, make revisions, or submit any abstracts that are in draft status.
General Abstract Questions
APS Abstract Helpline
Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. ET
Phone: U.S. +1(301) 209-3290
ScholarOne Technical Support
Available 24 Hours
Phone: +1(434) 964-4100
Toll-free: (US ONLY) (888) 503-1050
The email address and phone numbers are also available from anywhere on the site by clicking on the Help link located in the upper right-hand corner of each page.