International Visa Resources Banner

Employment Resources for International Members

International physics students and professionals may be eligible to apply for employment based visas and work authorizations in the United States (US), such as: H-1B, Optional Practical Training (OPT), Curricular Practical Training (CPT), and Green Cards. Requirements are different between each visa/authorization, so it’s important to review your eligibility before applying.

APS has put together these resources as a general overview to help our members, however, this content should not be regarded, interpreted, or relied upon as legal advice. APS allocates resources and sustains a voluntary association of members within the Forum on International Physics (FIP).

Visit APS Government Affairs (GA) to learn about efforts by APS in support of international students and professionals in the US. GA also provides advocacy steps you can take to urge Congress to keep STEM talent in the US.

Employment-Based Visas and Work Authorizations

two men at table 1203934318

H-1B Visas allow U.S. employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations sponsored and initiated by employers.

technical man cell 99996948

OPT work authorizations temporarily allow international students with an F-1 visa to work up to 12 months in relation to their major of study.

man and woman in laboratory 522961179

CPT work authorizations temporarily allow international students to gain practical experience through employment and paid or unpaid internships.

ladies laughing 1182849384

Individuals in certain occupations may be eligible to become a lawful permanent resident based on an offer of permanent employment in the United States.

For a broader overview of the above work authorizations, as well as additional pathways for STEM employment, check out the following resources from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS):

APS Webinar on Understanding Work Authorizations in the US