Information on Student Support
The NYSS makes awards to students to help defray travel and accommodation expenses and attendance at the symposium banquet. These awards are approximately $150 per student based on the discretion of the student support coordinator. Additional grants for coordinated transportation (e.g. van rental) to conferences will also be considered.
Dr. Kenneth Podolak
- Students in Physics Departments within the state of New York or its contiguous states and provinces are invited to apply for a grant to attend the next symposium.
- The "application" consists of a brief paragraph telling how large a grant will be requested and how the funds will be spent. It is expected that each supported student will attend both Friday and Saturday sessions and the symposium banquet, which is usually Friday evening. All student banquet tickets are half price.
- Applications must be signed by the student and the Department Chair. For e-mail applications, the student should send his/her application paragraph to the Department Chair, who will forward it to the NYSS representative (see address below). The e-mail "From" addresses will constitute signatures. E-mailed applications are preferred!
- One application can be made for several students, but the name and mailing address of each student must appear within it.
- The symposia are appropriate for advanced undergraduates as well as graduate students. The NYSS representative will consider each application on its relative merits and will not have quotas with respect to the student's state of advancement.
- Grants, not to exceed $150 per student, will be mailed directly to the student(s) by the APS after verification of attendance.
- All students are exempt from the registration fee.
Applications must be received at least 11 days prior to the symposium, and should be e-mailed to:
Dr. Kenneth Podolak
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Phone: (518) 564-3193