Tour of David Taylor Model BasinAugust 20, 2009
Carderock Division of the Naval Surface Warfare Center
West Bethesda, MD
Tour: 10:00 AM - 12:00 Noon Lunch to Follow
We have arranged for a tour of the David Taylor Model Basin (DTMB) in Bethesda, MD as our APS MASPG August event. The DTMB is located at the Carderock Division of the Naval Surface Warfare Center, 9500 MacArthur Blvd., West Bethesda, MD 20817-5700.
A discussion of the Carderock Division and the DTMB may be found at its web site located at http://www.dt.navy.mil/about_us/about_us.html. This site contains lots of details and directions which can be reached by the many links inside the site. In particular, the Visitor Information for the Carderock Division Headquarters contains detailed Directions (both HTML and PDF – both with great maps) and Site Information. Spend some time browsing as there is lots of information there!
Time and Location:
Tour of the David Taylor Model Basin from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM (tours are usually 1.5 to 2 hours). We plan to have lunch at the cafeteria at the facility.
Travel Directions to the David Taylor Model Basin – check with the detailed HTML or PDF directions at the website. The facility is located just off Exit 41 of Interstate 495. This is the last exit off 495 heading to the American Legion Bridge at the Maryland-Virginia border. Take Clara Barton Parkway west about ½ mile where the main entrance to the Carderock Division is located.
Send R.S.V.P. to James Lambert: ADDRESS: 701 King Farm Blvd, Rockville MD 20850, Apt 435 or send an email to Lambert@georgetown.edu (e-mail highly preferred). If using e-mail please include DTMB in the subject line.
- Registration is required and is restricted to US citizens. Please have a current photo ID.
- Please arrive about 15-30 minutes before the tour in order to park and get visitor’s badge.
- Please respond before Tuesday, 7/28/09. Information is needed for a list which is required by DRMB three weeks in advance of the tour.
- Visit and browse through the web site as there is lots of useful information there.
- There are no cameras or recording devices allowed on the tour.
- Hope to see you on August 20!