Invited Symposia Nominations
Please help make the 2015 March Meeting a great success by submitting excellent nominations for invited FIAP Symposia. The deadline is Friday, September 12, 2014. For the first time, FIAP is putting our nominations process online, to make it easier to submit all the information we need to decide on your nomination. We hope all members of FIAP consider submitting one or more symposia.
Use the link below to submit a nomination of an Invited Symposium for the March Meeting.
One of the major roles of FIAP is to organize Invited Symposia for the March meeting. Please create your symposium nomination, and then go to the link above to enter it into the database.
You must notify your speaker and session chair nominees beforehand and obtain their willingness to participate, if chosen, before you submit. Once you have completed the nomination — and will not make any more changes or additions — please click on “Complete Nomination.” This will initiate a notification email to the speakers and the chair of your nominated session to reconfirm their willingness and to serve as a check of the accuracy of their email address information. Via their timely responses we will track their intention to participate in the 2015 March Meeting. You will also receive a confirmation of your session nomination.
You are encouraged to submit joint nominations for invited sessions with other APS units when submitting to FIAP. In putting together proposals for invited symposia, please consider minority, female, and international candidates, who historically have been underrepresented among invited speakers at the March Meeting.Suggestions for Creating a Successful Proposal
- Propose a symposium on a timely topic with five excellent talks plus alternate. Generally the Executive Committee favors symposia (preferably with five talks, rather than fewer) over individual invited talks. There are very few of the latter.
- Choose an appropriate title and provide a clear justification. This will aid the committee in making its decision.
- Choose titles of individual talks carefully. The speaker can revise the title later, but it is important to have the topic and intent of the presentation stated clearly.
- Provide an informative abstract for each talk. This will underpin the central theme of the symposium and aid the committee in reaching a decision. Speakers who are invited will be asked to submit their own abstracts later.
- Provide references to publications. This will aid the committee in determining whether the work is current and whether it has some level of acceptance by the scientific community. Electronically posted preprints are useful, though they do not have the same status as refereed publications.
- Include an alternate speaker in slot 6. It is important to provide a substitute in the event that someone becomes unavailable. Please ask the alternate (like the main choices) to confirm availability.
Do not worry about the sorting category. If you are unsure, just put sorting category 22, which is FIAP’s applied topics category.