Submit a Nomination
San Antonio, TX from March 2-6, 2015
The DEADLINE for submitting nominations for invited speakers has been extended to Friday, September 12, 2014.
The DAMOP Program Committee will be organizing four invited sessions of five speakers each at the APS March Meeting 2015, selected from among those nominated by the membership. We are also selecting four individual invited speakers for our focus sessions: Driving and dissipation in AMO systems, Quench dynamics in atomic gases and ions, Novel phases with cold atoms, molecules, and ions, Artificial Gauge Fields / Spin Orbit Coupling. Feel free to suggest invited symposia whose titles are similar to these.
THE PROGRAM COMMITTEE CAN ONLY INVITE SPEAKERS WHO HAVE BEEN NOMINATED.
In making proposals, please keep in mind the following guidelines:
- no individual may receive an invitation two years in a row (except winners of a Prize in the second year);
- a single invited session is not permitted to have two speakers from the same institution. A chair and a speaker from the same institution is acceptable;
- suggestions which will also appeal to other attendees of the March Meeting (e.g. DCMP) are most likely to be selected by the Program Committee;
- please consider suggesting symposia which are cosponsored by other units (e.g. DAMOP, DCP, DCMP,GQI).
To make a nomination, you will need to fill out the nomination form at the DAMOP March Meeting Nominations
web page. This includes detailed information about the proposed topic of the session and the proposed invited speakers. All proposals are useful, even if they are incomplete. If you want to maximize the success of your proposal, please consider some of the following suggestions:
- Include five speakers. The program committee attempts to accept proposals in their entirety, so "orphaned" talks rarely make it into the program.
- Choose an appropriate title and provide a clear justification.
- Please include whatever information you feel would help the committee evaluate the symposium. Links to papers/preprints are particularly valuable. Some nominators like to provide "titles" for each talk. [These will just be informative, speakers who are invited will be asked to submit their own title and abstract later.]
- If possible, provide references to published work in refereed journals.
- If possible, please contact the speakers and include a note about their response. The committee is more likely to choose a symposium where they know all of the speakers are likely to come.
- If possible, please include an alternate speaker in the abstract to provide a substitute in the event the first choice is unavailable.
- Nominate a session chair. As with the invited speakers, if possible please confirm that they are available.
There will be a SEPARATE call for proposals for the 2015 APS DAMOP meeting [June 8-12 2015 in Columbus OH]. Symposium suggestions for the APS March Meeting 2015 will NOT automatically be considered for the 2015 DAMOP meeting.
APS March Meeting Contributed Abstracts
The call for Contributed Abstracts will be sent out shortly. The deadline for contributed abstracts will be Friday, November 14, 2014 at 5 P.M. EST.