Prizes & Awards
The following prizes are awarded each year to scientists and students from California, Nevada & Hawaii for the outstanding work performed by their recipients and the groups and institutions they work with.
2012 Postdoctoral award:Luis Alvarez Award (Best Experimental Research)
- Paul Davis (UC Berkeley) "X-ray scattering measurements of ionization in shock-compressed deuterium"
2012 Graduate Student Awards:Kennedy Reed Award (Best Theoretical Research)
- Michael Maroun (UC Riverside) "A Metric on the Space of Quantum Fields"
- First place: Omar Moreno (Santa Cruz Institute for Particle Physics) "The Heavy Photon Search Experiment: Searching for Dark Photons at Jefferson Lab"
- Second place: (tie) Andrea Rodarte (UC Merced) for "Ordering Quantum Dot Clusters via Nematic Liquid Crystal Defects" and Kathleen Krueger (Cal Poly SLO) for "Improving the Efficiency of Homologous Gene Replacement by Disrupting the NHEJ Pathway for Gene KusA in the Oleaginous Fungus Mortierella alpina"
2012 Undergraduate Awards:Steven Chu Award (Best Research)
- First place: Ritankar Das (UC Berkeley) "Thermodynamic description of cellulose chain collapse using coarse grain modeling"
- Second place: Dana Hipolite (Cal Poly SLO) for "Field Control of the Surface Electroclinic Effect in Liquid Crystal Displays I"