Historical Sites: Savannah River Nuclear Plant
Photo by Ken Cole
APS President Malcolm Beasley (left) presents a plaque to Doug Hintze, acting chief financial officer of the Savannah River Site in South Carolina, which reads “In 1956 Clyde Cowan and Frederick Reines used the flux from P Reactor at the Savannah River site to perform the first experiment that conclusively detected the neutrino, thereby establishing the existence of the particle postulated 26 years earlier by Wolfgang Pauli to explain the apparent lack of conservation of energy in beta decay." The presentation was made on April 6, 2014 at the APS April Meeting in Savannah, Georgia.
©1995 - 2015, AMERICAN PHYSICAL SOCIETY
APS encourages the redistribution of the materials included in this newspaper provided that attribution to the source is noted and the materials are not truncated or changed.
Staff Science Writer: Michael Lucibella
Art Director and Special Publications Manager: Kerry G. Johnson
Publication Designer and Production: Nancy Bennett-Karasik