Proposed Constitutional Amendments Regarding Updating APS Treasurer Position to Treasurer/Publisher
2. Duties. The functions of the Council shall include the following:
b. Elect the Operating Officers, which are the Executive Officer, the Treasurer/Publisher, and the Editor in Chief.
3. Composition. The Council shall consist of the President, the President Elect, the Vice President, the most recent Past President, the Chairperson of the Nominating Committee, the Chairperson of the Panel on Public Affairs, who is elected by Council according to procedures specified in the Bylaws, the Operating Officers (Executive Officer, Treasurer/Publisher, Editor in Chief), and Councilors: eight General Councilors, one International Councilor, whose primary residence is outside the United States, and Councilors representing the Divisions, Forums and Sections. The value of the percentage X which appears in other Articles and affects the composition of Council, shall be determined by Council and specified in the Bylaws. There may sit with the Council as advisors such persons as Council deems desirable.
ARTICLE V – OFFICERS
1. Officers: The statutory Officers of the Society are the President, the President Elect, the Vice President, the Executive Officer, the Treasurer/Publisher, and the Editor in Chief. The President, the President Elect, and the Vice President shall assume office as hereinafter provided. The Executive Officer, the Treasurer/Publisher, and the Editor in Chief are the Operating Officers. They shall be elected by the Council as specified in the Bylaws.
6. Duties of the Treasurer/Publisher: The Treasurer/Publisher shall be responsible for the conduct of the financial affairs of the Society and shall oversee the financial affairs of the Divisions, Topical Groups, Forums, and Sections. The Treasurer/Publisher shall have direct responsibility for the financial aspects of the Society’s publishing operations, such as contracts with outside vendors, marketing, subscriptions and consortia agreements, and pricing, and shall share with the Editor in Chief responsibility for non-editorial matters that have strong financial implications, such as copyright and policies for electronic access. The Treasurer/Publisher shall supervise the staff and operations of the office of the Treasurer/Publisher. Each year, the Treasurer/Publisher shall prepare a budget of income and expenses and a report on the financial condition of the Society and its units for review by the Executive Board and the Council. The Treasurer/Publisher shall receive, disburse, and invest funds as authorized by the Council or the Executive Board. The Treasurer/Publisher shall provide regular reports to the Executive Board and Council on the financial status of the Society. The Treasurer/Publisher shall perform such other duties as specified in the Constitution and Bylaws and as the Council or the Executive Board may assign.
7. Duties of the Editor in Chief: The Editor in Chief shall have editorial and operational responsibility for the research journals published by the Society and shall share with the Treasurer/Publisher responsibility for non-editorial matters with strong financial implications, such as copyright and policies for electronic access. The Editor-in-Chief shall supervise the staff and operations of the Society's research journals. The Editor-in-Chief shall implement policies relating to editorial policy and publications operations as approved by the Council or the Executive Board. The Editor-in-Chief shall submit periodic reports regarding the status of the Society's publications to the Council and the Executive Board and shall perform such other duties as specified in the Constitution and Bylaws and as the Council or Executive Board may assign.
ARTICLE VI - EXECUTIVE BOARD AND COMMITTEES
1. Executive Board. There shall be an Executive Board consisting of the President, the President Elect, the Vice President, the most recent Past President, the three Operating Officers (Executive Officer, Treasurer/Publisher, Editor in Chief), and eight additional Council members to be elected by Council as follows:
The functions of the Executive Board shall include the following:
c. Review the budget recommended by the Treasurer/Publisher before adoption by the Council, and authorize expenditures for current operations.
ARTICLE III - STANDING COMMITTEES
A. OPERATING COMMITTEES
2. Publications Oversight Committee.-The membership of the Publications Oversight Committee shall consist of the Editor-in-Chief, the Executive Officer, the Treasurer/Publisher, four members elected by Council to staggered four-year terms and four members appointed by the President-Elect to staggered four year terms. The President-Elect shall appoint a Chairperson from among these eight members. The Committee shall propose guidelines for the operating philosophy of publications and shall oversee general editorial policy. It shall meet at least twice each year and shall make recommendations to Council regarding the research publications of the Society.
4. Investment Committee.-The membership of the Investment Committee shall consist of the Treasurer/Publisher, the Executive Officer, the Vice-President, and three other members appointed by the President-Elect to staggered three-year terms. The Treasurer shall serve as Chairperson. The Committee shall meet at least twice each year to review the financial and investment policies of the Society and shall make recommendations to the Executive Board and to the Council concerning these policies.
8. Committee on Meetings.-The membership of the Committee on Meetings shall consist of the Executive Officer, the Treasurer/Publisher, and six members appointed by the President-Elect to staggered three-year terms. The President-Elect shall appoint the Chairperson from among these six members. The Committee shall propose guidelines and rules for the organization and operation of all meetings of the Society and its units and shall provide oversight for meetings-related publications, including the Bulletin of the American Physical Society. The Committee shall recommend procedures for Society sponsorship of other meetings.
11. Budget Committee: The membership of the Budget Committee shall consist of the President-Elect and four members of the Council appointed by the President to staggered two-year terms. The President-Elect shall serve as Chairperson. The Committee shall meet with the Operating Officers during the initial budget planning process to establish overall goals and objectives for the next fiscal year and again as the budget is in the final stages of preparation. The Committee shall provide the Treasurer/Publisher with strategic guidance and with critical consideration of fundamental budget assumptions.
ARTICLE V - FINANCES
3. Bonding.-The Executive Officer and the Treasurer/Publisher shall give the Society bond in the amount required by the Council, at the expense of the Society, for the faithful performance of the duties of their office and for delivery, upon demand by the Council, of all records, money, and other property belonging to the Society that have been in their custody.
ARTICLE VI - POLICY ON TENURE OF OFFICERS
1. Appointment and Tenure of Officers.-The Executive Officer, the Treasurer/Publisher, and the Editor-in-Chief shall be elected by the Council to renewable five-year terms. A review of an incumbent Executive Officer, Treasurer/Publisher, or Editor-in-Chief shall be carried out by the Review Committee within the penultimate year of the term of office or sooner if so desired by Council. Council shall retain the power to replace an incumbent officer at any time following a review.
2. Review Committee.-The Review Committee shall consist of the members of the Executive Board except the Executive Officer, the Treasurer/Publisher, and the Editor-in-Chief. The most recent Past-President shall be the Chairperson of the Review Committee. The Review Committee shall be responsible for reviewing the performance of the Executive Officer, the Treasurer/Publisher, and the Editor-in-Chief, and it shall report its findings to the Council.
ARTICLE VII – NOMINATIONS AND ELECTIONS
6. Nominations for Executive Officer, Treasurer/Publisher, or Editor-in-Chief.-Nomination to fill a vacancy in the offices of Executive Officer, Treasurer/Publisher, or Editor-in-Chief shall be solicited from the entire membership of the Society by announcements in publications of the Society and the American Institute of Physics. The Review Committee, defined in Article VI, Section 2 of these Bylaws, shall select one or more candidates and shall present their names to Council for election according to Article IV, Section 2b of the Constitution.
ARTICLE VIII - DIVISION, TOPICAL GROUP, FORUM, AND SECTION CONCERNS
1. Division, Topical Group, Forum and Section Finances.-Funds collected by the Society for Division, Topical Group, Forum, and Section membership dues, funds appropriated by the Council in lieu of dues, and funds collected by the Divisions, Topical Groups, Forums, and Sections shall be kept by the Society in internal accounts in the name of each such unit. The Society shall deduct from the accounts the itemized expenses incurred by the Society for services requested by these units and for services rendered them as approved by Council. The Secretary-Treasurer or a designate of a Division, Topical Group, Forum, or Section may authorize the disbursement of funds by the Treasurer/Publisher of the Society for expenses consistent with the general policies of that unit. Financial records shall be kept on an annual basis consistent with the fiscal policies of the Society. Statements of receipts and disbursements for a Division, Topical Group, Forum, and Section shall be submitted at least quarterly by the Treasurer/Publisher of the Society to the appropriate Secretary-Treasurers. Divisions, Topical Groups, Forums, and Sections may generate income from and incur expenses for activities, such as meetings, that are consistent with the Constitution and Bylaws and the fiscal policies of the Society. Petty cash accounts may be maintained by the Secretary-Treasurers of Divisions, Topical Groups, Forums, and Sections with the authorization of the Treasurer/Publisher of the Society.
©1995 - 2014, AMERICAN PHYSICAL SOCIETY
APS encourages the redistribution of the materials included in this newspaper provided that attribution to the source is noted and the materials are not truncated or changed.
Staff Writer: Ernie Tretkoff
Contributing Editor: Jennifer Ouellette
Art Director and Special Publications Manager: Kerry G. Johnson
Publication Designer and Production: Nancy Bennett-Karasik
Science Writing Intern: Nadia Ramlagan