Style and Substance Characterize APS Centennial Celebration
The APS celebrated its 100th anniversary with both style and substance last month in Atlanta, Georgia, drawing nearly 10,000 scientists from all over the world to make it the largest physics meeting of all time.
Subsequent issues of APS News, beginning with May and continuing through December, will feature detailed coverage of technical and nontechnical highlights, plenary lectures, special events, and much, much more. A selected sampling of future content is outlined below.
Short features highlighting latest research results in atomic, molecular and optical physics, lasers, materials physics, astrophysics, biological physics, plasma physics and many more.
- The future of science policy
- History of physics in the national defense
- Women in physics
- Impact of immigration on U.S. physics
- Renewable energy
- Fernbank Museum Gala
- International reception and banquet
- Nobel Laureate luncheon/exhibit opening
- Adventures at the Physics Festival
Regular features in each issue will include monthly columns featuring APS units, as well as the first 100 years of APS history, culled from the popular Centennial exhibit. There will also be monthly profiles spotlighting many of the artists and performers featured at the Physics Festival, such as:
- Bob Friedhoffer, science magician (see page 3)
- Ken Laws and the "Physics of Dance"
- Felice Frankel, science photographer extraordinaire
- Robert Greenler, intrepid explorer of Arctic phenomena
- "Man-on-the-street" interview with "Albert Einstein"
- "Mr. Magnet" (a.k.a. Paul Turner)
Centennial Bulletin Factals
- Number of printed abstracts = 8,783
- Number of pages = 2,080 (Part I - 896; Part II - 1,184)
- Weight of Centennial BAPS about 10 pounds
- Three 18-wheeler semis hauled them to Atlanta
©1995 - 2015, AMERICAN PHYSICAL SOCIETY
APS encourages the redistribution of the materials included in this newspaper provided that attribution to the source is noted and the materials are not truncated or changed.
|Editor:||Barrett H. Ripin|
|Associate Editor:||Jennifer Ouellette|