The APS Committee on the Status of Women in Physics (CSWP) is pleased to sponsor that the Travel Grants for Women Speakers Program. This program is designed to increase the recognition of women physicists. The program is intended to expand the opportunity for physics departments to invite women colloquium/seminar speakers who can serve as role models for women undergraduates, graduate students and faculty. The program also recognizes the scientific accomplishments and contributions of these women physicists.
The program will reimburse U.S. colleges and universities up to $500 for travel expenses for only one of at least two women colloquium/seminar speakers invited during an academic year per 3 year period.
Qualifications & Eligibility
All physics departments in the United States not awarded an APS Travel Grants for Women Speakers in the past 3 years are encouraged to apply. Canadian and Mexican colleges & universities are also eligible to apply, provided that the speakers they invite are currently employed by U.S. institutions.
The APS maintains the Women Speakers List, which can be used to find speakers. However, selection of the speaker need not be limited to this list. Both invited women speakers must be:
- Physicists or in a closely related field, such as astronomy
- Reside in the United States
- Not faculty at the host institution
- An institution may receive only one APS Travel Grants for Women Speakers grant in a three-year period.
- An institution that receives a Women Speakers travel grant may not fund the second speaker with another APS speakers travel grant.
- Institutions must invite two women speakers and if approved for a grant, will be reimbursed for one speaker only.
- Institutions must apply for the travel grant before both speakers give their talks
- Reimbursement is for travel, lodging, and childcare expenses only. Honoraria, local meals or extraneous expenses at the colloquium itself, such as refreshments, will not be reimbursed.
- Neither of the speakers may be employed by the Institution applying for the grant
- The Travel Grants for Women Speakers Application Form should be submitted to APS as early as possible, once the speakers have been identified. Institutions can apply even if talk title and date listed are tentative, or if the speakers are scheduled for the spring semester. Please note that funds for the program are limited.
- Institutions whose applications have been approved will receive a Travel and Expense Report Form to submit for reimbursement.
- After both speakers have visited the institution, the preparer of the Travel Grant Application should fill out and submit the Travel and Expense Report Form along with original receipts or copies of the receipts (and an explanation as to why original receipts are not available) to the postal address below.
Travel Grants for Women Speakers Program
Arlene Modeste Knowles
The American Physical Society
One Physics Ellipse
College Park, MD 20740-3844
Tel: (301) 209-3232
Fax: (301) 209-0865