Assessing Graduate Programs
Is Your Graduate Department in Physics Female Friendly?
The APS Committee on the Status of Women in Physics (CSWP) has facilitated the collection of responses to a series of questions about graduate programs in physics that should be helpful to those interested in assessing the climate for women at various graduate schools. Department chairs (or their assignees) were asked the five questions below. All the responses are self-reported by department chairs (or their assignees), and the APS and CSWP assume no responsibility for the accuracy of the information submitted.The responses, for each institution, can be obtained by clicking on the name of the institution below. The questions are:
- How many tenure-track or tenured faculty -- male/female?
- How many graduate students ? -- male/female?
- How many post doctoral associates? -- male/female?
- Is there a family leave policy for graduate students? If so, describe.
- Is there family health insurance available for graduate students? Is it included in the stipend?
- In a paragraph, please describe why someone applying to graduate school who is interested in a female-friendly department should choose your institution.
- Has the institution had a Climate for Women in Physics Site Visit or Gender Equity Conversation?
If you are a department chair, and would like to add (or change) your institution's contribution, please email Deanna Ratnikova for the web site address where data can be entered.
142 total surveys as of today