Matching Needs and Expectations to Build a Collaborative Relationship
Needs and expectations of both universities and science centers:
- Exchange of intellectual content.
- Goals can be adapted and aligned.
- Each partner needs to understand the different culture of the other.
- Both partners must exercise patience, as each environment has its own time scale (calendar).
- Standards must be established for evaluating partnerships.
- Sustainability and Funding
- Partnerships living through multiple projects
- A slightly more vertical management model, with a single person that overseeing collaborations in both the museums and universities.
Needs and expectations of universities:
- For universities, needs are research driven, so the choice of partner is determined by who has the appropriate tools and resources.
- Universities need point of contact, and resource access. These may be broadly defined.
- Specific persons of contact designated by University and Science Center partners whose role is to initialize collaborations and to eliminate confusion.
- Museum point person must combine people and resources.
- Universities see science center role as that of translation of current research for public consumption.
- Science centers can help universities frame rationale and impact for funding.
- Low risk opportunities within museums for university volunteers
- Science centers allow staff some time to explore with universities
Needs and expectations of science centers
- The science centers don’t want the academic institutions who are requesting funding to call at the last minute requesting support for a funding proposal.
- Need university person to liaison internally and with science center
- Science Centers want quality
- Cross Pollination in conferences to make new partnerships.
- There must be mutual understanding of the different needs of each partner. This means that each partner must do its homework to lay the groundwork for a successful partnership.
- Science centers can help universities frame rationale and impact.
- Science center need correct knowledge of the science, as well as role models.
- Access to Journals
- Broader impacts requirements of funding agenices.
- Broader impacts drive universities.
- The grant providers need to provide a list of examples/suggestions of types of outreach that are and are not acceptable.
- Reviewers of proposals must be educated about broader impacts.