APS/IBM Research Internship for Underrepresented Minority Students
Application Deadline: February 15
The American Physical Society and IBM co-sponsor a research internship program for underrepresented undergraduate minority students. The goal is to encourage underrepresented minority students to pursue graduate studies in science and engineering.
The internships are salaried positions typically 10 weeks long at IBM Research — Almaden (San Jose, CA), and include the opportunity to work closely with an IBM mentor. The Almaden lab has a full range of research. Research areas of the internship are individually chosen so as to optimize the match between the skills and interests of the student, and the ongoing research programs of the laboratory. Information about IBM Research and the Almaden site may be found at:
Almaden Research Center
The starting and ending dates are chosen so as not to conflict with the student's school schedule. Assistance in finding and renting housing will be provided.
Applications for summer research are due February 15. Selection notifications begin in early April.
Important Details on the Application Process and Internship
- Must be underrepresented minority with sophomore or junior standing at a U.S. college or university at the time of application
- Must be majoring in chemistry, physics, materials science or engineering, computer science or engineering, chemical, electrical, mechanical engineering, or biology, if it has an emphasis on one of the other areas listed
- Must have a minimum 3.0 GPA
- No citizenship restriction.
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee at IBM/Almaden and selected based on their commitment to and interest in their major field of study.
The application process consists of an online application, which is submitted through an IBM server; two letters of recommendation (at least one letter must come from a faculty member in a field related to your major at your current college/univ.), which are to be emailed directly from the recommenders to the internship chair; and an official transcript, which, if possible, is emailed to the internship chair from the registrar's officer, or if that is not possible is submitted to IBM via postal mail.
APS/IBM Internship Application Online Application
- Completing the student application form (on the IBM server)
- Uploading your Essay (250 words) describing your interest in research and how diversity and this opportunity would advance your goals
- Uploading your Resume (1-3 pages)
- Uploading a page listing all of your college technical courses (math, science, computer science, engineering) with the school year in which they were taken and the grades awarded.
Acceptable formats for the essay, resume, and course list are PDF, PostScript, and Microsoft Word.
If you have any problem submitting your application electronically, please use your “back” button to return to the application and try again; if after at most three such tries you still have difficulties, please email Dr. Barbara Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
Dr. Barbara Jones
Chair, IBM URM Research Internship Program
IBM Almaden Research Center
650 Harry Road
San Jose , CA 95120-6099
Applications must be postmarked by February 15, 2015