Visa Related Help
Resources & Help
Request Letters of Invitation
March, April, and some unit meetings.
Entering the United States
Information on customs and OBIM.
Visa Waiver Program
Full explanations and requirements.
Visa Wait Times
Posted by U.S. Department of State.
APS Disclaimer: The information on this page is given in good faith, but regulations may change. The only authoritative sources of information are U.S. Government websites.
Visa Problems?The National Academies’ International Visitors Office (IVO) is a valuable resource on visa-related issues for scientists. IVO can inquire at the U.S. Department of State about the status of certain U.S. visa applications that are delayed.
International Visitors Office
You can report to IVO excessive delays encountered in the visa application process if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a student, scholar, or professional in the sciences; AND
- You applied for a non-B1 visa to come to the U.S. for a science-related activity and your application has been delayed 60 days or longer. OR, you applied for a B-1 visa to come to the U.S. for a science-related activity and your application is pending 14 days prior to the event's start date.
Visa Interview AdviceWARNING: No assurances regarding the issuance of visas can be given in advance. Final travel plans or the purchase of non-refundable ticket should not be made until a visa has been issued.
What to Take to Your Visa Interview
- Specific and detailed explanations related to your purpose for travel and your proposed dealings with APS. Example: Copy of your APS Meeting Invitation Letter.
- Complete travel itineraries and (if appropriate) schedules.
Note: Airline ticket proof of purchase is not a required item for documenting your trip itinerary.
- Proof of an existing relationship with your inviter, APS or other U.S. entities.
Example: Copy of your registration for your APS Meeting.
- Explanation of how your visit will be funded.
U.S. Government WebsitesU.S. Visa Policies
U.S. State Department
Temporary Visitors to U.S.
Office of Biometric Identity Management