U.S.-Lebanon Professorship/Lectureship Program
Application Deadline: May 22, 2017
The Académie des Sciences du Liban (ASL) and the American Physical Society (APS) sponsor a professorship/lectureship program for physicists in Lebanon and the United States. The program provides grants to scientists traveling internationally to deliver a short course or a physics lecture series at a university in the U.S. or Lebanon.
Professorships/lectureships consist of a one to two week course or a lecture series (three or more lectures) delivered at a Lebanese or a U.S. institution. The visiting professor and host professor submit a joint proposal for the short course or lecture series. Lectures that complement existing research activities are given higher priority.
Two grants total will be awarded in 2017. One grant will be awarded to a scientist from the United States, and one grant will be awarded to a scientist from Lebanon.
- Grants are for up to USD $4,000 each
- Awards may be used for travel expenses associated with the delivery of either a course or lectures
- No portion of the grant funds may be used for remuneration, salary, or honorarium
- All visits must be completed within one year of the award date
- Funds for Lebanese grantees will originate at their home institutions; ASL will facilitate the commitment and dispersal of funds
- Grantees must submit a final report to both APS and ASL within 30 days of their return, before reimbursement can be processed
- APS will manage reimbursement for U.S. grantees after submission of receipts and a one-page trip report
Scientists with Ph.D.s in physics or a related field are eligible to apply. Lebanese applicants must be affiliated with a Lebanese institution at the time of application. U.S. applicants must be affiliated with an institution in the United States at the time of application.
Applicants are required to provide the following items in their applications:
- A joint proposal (1-2 pages) from the proposed visitor and their collaborator at the host institution. The proposal must include:
- A general overview of the proposed activity
- Anticipated outcomes and impact of the visit (especially on young scientists)
- A letter of support for the proposal from the host institution
- For visitors from Lebanese institutions, a letter of support from the visitor’s home institution
- A plan of activities for the duration of the visit
- A budget (up to 1 page) for requested funds
- A CV of the visitor, of no more than 2 pages
Application materials should be compiled into a single PDF and sent to Michele Irwin, International Programs Administrator at the American Physical Society, at email@example.com.
Please contact Michele Irwin at firstname.lastname@example.org or (301) 209-3237.