To submit a nomination for fellowship, you and your co-sponsor MUST be members of the APS (Fellowship is not required). Below are the step by step instructions to follow:
- At the fellowship program online page, click the login link.
- Sign in with your APS membership user name and password.
If you have not set up this account already, you will be instructed on how to do so before logging into the nomination page.
- After signing in, you will be on the welcome page, where you can nominate a member for fellowship or you can view, modify or complete a nomination that you’ve already started.
- Click on “nominate APS member for fellowship”.
- On the “select nominee” page, you will need to enter the name of the person you would like to nominate.
- Select the unit for which this persons’ nomination should be considered.
- The system will then search the membership database (please be patient, this can take a few seconds).
- The query will NOT list non-members or current APS fellows.
- Find and select the name of the person you wish to nominate.
- The next screen is the nomination form.
- Click on the tabs to enter relevant information about the nominee.
- After completing the nomination, you will move on to the sponsor tab, where you can upload your previously saved recommendation letter for your nominee. You will also need to upload any supporting letters. Individuals providing support do not have to be members of the APS. NOTE: You cannot simply type your letter on the form; you must upload it.
- You will also need to enter the name and email address of your co-sponsor. This person must be a member of the APS (Fellowship is not required).
- If you click the save button, your nomination will be saved and will allow you to return and make changes at a later date. NOTE: DATA WILL NOT SAVE IF YOU EXCEED THE CHARACTER COUNT FOR TYPED ENTRIES.
- If you click the submit button, your nomination and a co-sponsor agreement request will be automatically generated and emailed to the co-sponsor.
- The co-sponsor must accept or decline their support of the nominee.
- After reviewing the nomination, the co-sponsor has the opportunity to upload his or her previously saved recommendation letter.
Nomination Quotas and Foreign Fellows
There is an absolute cap on the number of Fellows that can be elected annually, equal to 1/2 of 1% of the Society membership. Consequently, each unit receives an annual quota that is roughly equal to 1/2 of 1% of its membership (the formula for Forums is slightly different). In addition, there is an Alternate Matching program designed to encourage the nomination and election of foreign Fellows (foreign is defined as resident outside of the US, regardless of the nationality of the nominee). Units can accrue additional slots if they recommend foreign nominees for election, provided that the overall cap mentioned above is not exceeded.
- Submit nomination to the APS prior to unit deadline
- Nominations reviewed at the Unit level by the Unit Fellowship Committee.
- Recommendations reviewed by the APS Fellowship Committee. (By September 1)
- Final approval given by full APS Council. (By November 30)
- Notification of newly elected fellows as well as sponsors of nominees deferred or dropped.
- General announcement of new fellows in March issue of the APS News.
- New: Nominations that have been submitted for the first time and have not been reviewed at any level.
- Deferred: Nominations that have been reviewed once and are held over for automatic consideration by the next year's unit fellowship committee. Update information from sponsors is recommended.
- Dropped: Nominations that have been reviewed by two consecutive unit fellowship committees and have not been selected for fellowship. For further consideration, a completely new fellowship nomination packet must be submitted. There is no waiting period before a new nomination can be submitted.
Further Nomination Information
For further information regarding Fellowship Nominations, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org .