Competitiveness & Innovation
The American Physical Society supports the opinion of the National Academy of Sciences “Rising Above the Gathering Storm” report, which states:
“We owe our current prosperity, security, and good health to the investments of past generations, and we are obliged to renew those commitments in education, research, and innovation policies to ensure that the American people continue to benefit from the remarkable opportunities provided by the rapid development of the global economy and its not inconsiderable underpinning in science and technology.”
America must reinvest in both basic scientific research and science and math education if it hopes to be competitive in the 21st Century. To that end, the society is a member of a number of coalitions: the Taskforce on the Future of American Innovation; Energy Sciences Coalition (ESC); Coalition for National Science Funding (CNSF); the STEM Education Coalition; and the Alliance for Science and Technology Research (ASTRA), to name a few.
Society Statements on Competitiveness and Innovation:
Read more APS positions and statements.
Important Items concerning Competitiveness and Innovation
- The National Academies issues the report "Rising Above the Gathering Storm" [Read Executive Summary, PDF]
- New Report by the Taskforce on the Future of American Innovation: "Benchmarks of Our Innovation Future II" [Download Report] (11/06)
- Report by the Taskforce on the Future of American Innovation: "Benchmarks of Our Innovation Future" [Download Report] (2/05)
- Taskforce on the Future of Innovation website
- Energy Science Coalition (ESC) website
- Coalition for National Science Funding (CNSF) website
- Alliance for Science and Technology Research (ASTRA) website