Choosing a Physics Career - Self Assessment
Is Physics Right for You?
Self-assessment is a common tool employed by career counselors to help anyone at any career stage. If you are thinking about becoming a physics major, or going to graduate school, but aren’t 100% sure about whether or not either is good for you, a self-assessment can help you decide.
Where to Start
Begin assessing your physics temperament by asking yourself these simple questions:
- Are you curious about how the universe works?
- Would you like to discover new things?
- Do you like to solve problems?
- Do you like to figure out new technologies?
- Do you like using math for practical things?
- Are you interested in acquiring skills that apply to many career fields?
Ask a Counselor
If these simple questions spark your interest in physics, the next step is to speak to a career counselor, who can facilitate your assessment of your career interests. You may also want to speak with a physics teacher/professor at your school/college.
As the name suggests, you can do a lot of self-assessment on your own. Many online personality tests offer free versions of their assessments. These tools only provide a general overview of your work and learning styles but they can be interesting and helpful if you've never done one before.
Keirsey Temperament Free Mini-Report