Follow Current Events
Having a general knowledge of current events in your field of research does more than keep you abreast of the latest research results – it keeps you poised to learn about and explore new opportunities. The famous expression “chance favors the prepared mind” echoes this sentiment.
This same philosophy should extend beyond the “four walls” of your chosen field to physics, to science more broadly, to trends in higher education and industrial R&D, and to science policy and global events. From a parochial standpoint, understanding how your research interests relate to the "outside world" beyond your subfield is essential to advocating for its continued support and can reveal potential new research opportunities.
Stay abreast of science trends and global events.
- APS Home Page
- Physics: Spotlighting Exceptional Research
Physics RSS Feed
- Physical Review Focus Website
Subscribe to Focus Weekly Email
- APS Weekly NewsBrief
Subscribe to NewsBrief Weekly Email
- American Institute of Physics Website
Subscribe to AIP Weekly Email
Science and Engineering
- Science News (weekly magazine with annual subscription)
- Chemical and Engineering News
- MRS Bulletin
- IEEE Spectrum
- Photonics Spectra (monthly free magazine)
- Optics and Photonics News
- Mechanical Engineering Magazine
Trends in Industrial R&D
Trends in Higher Education