APS Internet Policy Contents
If you have any questions about APS Web Policies, please email the APS Webmaster.
These terms and conditions apply to all websites operated by the American Physical Society (APS). APS websites covered by these web policies include:
If you browse through an American Physical Society (APS) website, read pages, or download information, certain anonymous information about your visit will automatically be gathered and stored so that APS can continually evaluate and improve its visitors’ browsing experience. Collected information does not identify you personally.
The following information about your visit may be gathered and stored:
- Internet domain or the IP address (e.g., college.edu) from which you access an APS website
- Browser and operating system you used to access the site
- Date and time you visited the APS website
- Which pages you visited on the APS website
- If you came to the APS website from another website, the address of that website.
APS Computer Systems
APS websites reside on APS computer systems. Unauthorized attempts to modify any information stored on APS systems, to impair or circumvent security features, or to use APS systems for other than their intended purposes, are illegal and may result in disciplinary action, criminal prosecution, or both.
We do not collect personal information about individuals except when specifically and knowingly provided by such individuals, such as during event registration.
You must be 13 years old or older to submit information to an APS website.
If you send us your email, address or personal information when you fill out a web page comment form, that information is only used to respond to your message.
Personal information collected through registration or applications is secure and maintained according to current industry standards. Any personal information that you share with APS is safe-guarded so that unauthorized parties are prevented from accessing or viewing your information.
Only authorized APS system users have access to your information.
Credit card transactions are handled by established third-party banking, processing agents, and distribution institutions. All payments to APS made by credit card over the Internet are subject to the approval of the financial institution issuing the credit card. Purchases are not binding on APS and registration is not guaranteed until such approval is received. APS shall not be liable in any way if any financial institution refuses to accept or honor your credit card, even in error.
In transactions with APS, while APS will do everything within its power to keep your personal information secure, you acknowledge that there are security and privacy limitations of the Internet which are beyond our control.
APS is committed to providing accessible web pages for individuals with disabilities. If you use assistive technology (such as a Braille reader, a screen reader, TTY, etc.) and the format of any material on an APS website is not accessible to you, please contact the APS Webmaster. Email us the nature of your challenge, your preferred format for material, the web page URL, and your contact information, and we will try to provide you with that information, unless doing so places an undue burden on APS.
Anti-Infringement and Repeat-Offender Policy
Notification of claimed copyright infringement should be sent, in writing, to APS's designated agent:
Sara Conners, American Physical Society, One Physics Ellipse, College Park, MD 20740
A notification of claimed infringement must be a written communication provided to the designated agent above, that includes substantially the following:
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site.
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material.
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit us to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted.
- A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
Upon receipt of a notice of claimed infringement, APS will remove or disable access to or links to the allegedly infringing material.
Should a user be found to be a repeat-offender of the copyright policy, APS reserves the right to disable the users account on any or all APS web properties.
Please contact APS for permission to copy and redistribute its information. Information on APS websites is not in the public domain. All text, images, logos and information contained on official APS websites are the intellectual property of APS or used by permission extended only to APS. Consider all information, illustrations, photographs, or other resources on APS websites as protected by U.S. and foreign copyright laws, unless otherwise stated.
Although information on APS websites is not in the public domain, you may freely link to any page on APS websites following the simple linking criteria outlined below in “Linking to an APS Web Page.”
Logos, Images, and Photographs
Logos, images, and photographs on APS web sites may never be used without permission; however, permission is frequently granted for use of non-licensed images. Please email the APS Webmaster for reproduction permission and complete credit information.
Links on APS Websites
APS encourages you to exercise discretion while browsing the Internet. Many APS web pages link to other websites. We provide these links as a service but these websites are not controlled by APS and we cannot be responsible for their changing content.
Once another website is accessed from a link on APS, the copyright and licensing restrictions of the new site apply. APS does not allow hyperlinks to any websites that advocate hate, bias or discrimination, or which contain information associated with partisan political activity. Please notify us if you think we have inadvertently linked to a website containing unauthorized content.
Linking to an APS Web Page
You may freely link to any public APS web page from personal or organizational websites. Please link to APS rather than downloading portions of our content and pasting it on your site, so that our viewers will see our most up-to-date information. The exception to this request is APS press releases and the APS Physics Jobs buttons.
The only credit you need is the website name and the title of the target web page. Example: APS Physics Professional Development Guide. If you link to an APS website, please use these names for our websites:
APS Physics (www.aps.org)
Disclaimer of Endorsement
- APS has no political or religious affiliation and does not endorse any political candidate, political party, or religious group.
- APS does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of information contained on a linked website.
- APS does not necessarily endorse organizations linking to an APS website, or the views, products, or services they offer.
- APS is not responsible for transmissions users receive from linked websites.
- APS does not support or endorse any website that advocates hate, bias or discrimination.
Posting on APS Websites or Lists
APS interactive websites or electronic discussion groups are a service provided by APS. Participants must agree to be bound by APS policies.
APS routinely monitors APS interactive websites for inappropriate postings. In the event that any inappropriate posting or unauthorized use of its website is brought to APS's attention, APS will take appropriate action. Action includes immediate deletion of the questionable content as well as the right to terminate, without prior notice, the contributor’s future access to APS interactive websites.
- APS accepts no responsibility for the opinions and information posted on APS interactive websites or lists by others.
- APS interactive websites may be used to discuss matters related to or arising out of the advancement of physics.
- All postings shall be of an informational nature and for informational purposes only. Commercial use or any other unauthorized use of APS interactive websites is prohibited.
- APS does not allow posting any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal information or material.
- APS does not allow political or religious discussion, endorsing or disapproving political candidates, or campaigning or proselytizing in any form.
- APS does not allow posting any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner.
- APS does not allow posting any confidential information or any information that would infringe upon the proprietary, privacy or personal rights of others.
APS Web Policies constitute the entire understanding between APS and you with respect to APS websites. By using APS websites, you assent to APS Web Policies.
If you have any questions about APS Web Policies, please email the APS Webmaster.