Director of APS Honors Programs
The American Physical Society (APS), the premier membership association for physicists, seeks a scientist who is a proven project leader/program manager to fill the position of Director of APS Honors Programs. This position is part-time (40% FTE) and based at APS Headquarters in College Park, MD (near DC Metro Green Line).Reporting to the APS Executive Officer, the Director is responsible for all facets of the APS Honors Programs. The essential functions are:
- Being the staff liaison to volunteer committees on Fellowships and Prizes and Awards;
- Overseeing the Prizes and Awards selection process; overseeing the Fellowship selection process; and helping coordinate the Prizes and Awards ceremonial sessions at the March and April meetings;
- Ensuring that selection committees are appointed on time; that selection deadlines are met; and that questions from members are answered rapidly and accurately;
- Working closely with the Honors Programs Administrator, who reports to the Director of Membership, and who provides administrative services in support of the Honors Programs;
- Undertaking related duties and special projects as assigned by the Executive Officer.
PhD degree in physics or related discipline required. Fellow status in APS highly desirable. Should be familiar with the physics research community — its leaders, its institutions, and its practices. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with excellent program administration skills; have strong interpersonal and diplomatic communication skills; and be adept at meeting deadlines.
To apply, send cover letter with salary requirement, resume, and a list of professional references to the attention of the Director of Human Resources via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax: 301-699-8144. EOE M/F/D/V