The American Physical Society (APS), a non-profit, scientific association with 54,000 members, working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics, seeks a Development Coordinator. Based at APS Headquarters in College Park, MD (walking distance from the College Park Metro Station), this position performs and coordinates a wide range of activities in support of the APS Development Department and advances its goals to promote a culture of philanthropy, enhance donor stewardship and engagement, build major and planned giving programs; and ensure the success of all annual, honors, programmatic, and comprehensive campaigns.
Gift/pledge processing and accounting:
- Process gifts and pledges and submit to Finance Department via transmittals
- Reconcile gift information with Finance
- Coordinate sponsorship billing for Honors Programs and Journals
- Maintain internal gift summaries
- Maintain donor histories in the database
Data management and reporting:
- Work with Donor Relations Manager to update and maintain campaign gift summaries
- Provide financial reports to ensure compliance with donor designations
- Work with IT to extract donor and prospect reports from database for use by APS Staff and volunteers
- Coordinate with Finance to produce gift summaries/updates for Board, Council and Advisory Board Committee meetings
- Coordinate with Finance to provide donor and gift processing information, as needed, for annual, year-end audit
Stewardship and recognition:
- Prepare daily gift acknowledgements/receipts
- Provide on-line confirmation for receipt of stock payments, wire transfers and ACH deposits
- Coordinate and produce mail-merges
- Coordinate donor recognition/stewardship process
- Work with IT to extract data for annual report; coordinate design with Communications
Donor research and marketing:
- Conduct donor wealth screenings
- Perform donor research using web-related tools
- Perform research on corporations and foundations
- Compile donor profiles and briefings
- Coordinate with the Communications, IT, Membership, and Meetings departments to ensure the timely production of print and online fundraising communications, brochures, and Development webpages
Scheduling and event logistics:
- Work with Donor Relations Manager to organize donor recognition events and projects.
- Work with Honors to coordinate annual APS Medal Ceremony, Prizes & Awards Ceremony, President’s Reception, and fellows’ receptions; identify donors, and provide summaries for stewardship
- Maintain departmental calendar to coordinate projects with Communications, IT, Meetings, Membership, and Programs; act as Development point-person for projects
- Schedule calls with Honors and/or other Fundraising Committees
- Participate in staff events
Education: B.A./B.S. degree required
Experience: Minimum of two years experience in a similar role at an academic institution and/or a non-profit organization.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Proficient computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, databases, and fundraising software. Familiarity with planned giving practices preferred. Excellent organizational, interpersonal, writing, communication and statistical skills needed.
To apply, send cover letter, including salary requirement, and resume to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
APS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.