Graphic Design Manager
The graphic design manager provides leadership and art direction for graphics work while ensuring quality and consistently meeting stakeholder’s expectations, budgets, and deadlines. The position is responsible for managing department staffing and workflows, vendor relationships, and delivery of creative projects.
- Bring innovative design ideas to project solutions.
- Think creatively to develop new concepts, graphics, and layouts.
- Generate clear creative strategies to support marketing initiatives, strategic positioning, brand awareness, and target audiences.
- Stay on top of design trends and maintain best practices.
- Translate marketing and branding strategies into innovative and impressive campaigns that stimulate targeted audiences.
- Follow best practices in regards to copyright, licensing, and attribution of creative work.
- Plan, design, and deliver creative projects within established deadlines and budgets, including publications, web design, marketing materials, and other print and digital collateral.
- Liaise with staff and unit leadership in order to define creative deliverables with a focus on quality, marketing effectiveness, and adherence to brand standards.
- Manage projects, bids, and/or contracts with external partners, vendors, and consultants, including management of associated timelines and budgets while promoting cost effectiveness.
- Provide print and production specifications as required to negotiate accurate print or manufacturing bids and time estimates.
- Review printer’s proofs and color keys, conduct press checks, as needed, and secure appropriate approvals for projects.
- Ensure an efficient project workflow that is well organized and transparent to customers and management.
- Manage team of graphic designers and shape department staffing through recruitment, training, performance feedback, management, and, occasionally, outsourcing.
- Lead by example to inspire, mentor, and direct staff to be high performing contributors.
- Serve as the point of contact for new work requests and delegate tasks to graphic designers.
- Verify completeness, quality, and accuracy of team’s work.
- Provide weekly status updates to manager.
- Consult with department head in a timely manner to resolve production, delivery, or personnel issues.
- Collaborate with all members of the communications department management team to ensure successful outcomes.
- Oversee and ensure accuracy and timeliness in all administrative and performance management tasks (e.g. travel reimbursements, invoicing, performance reviews, personnel matters).
- Ensure management within budgetary guidelines.
- Manage and recommend department resources including hardware, software, and other creative tools, ensuring adequate maintenance of equipment, updating of software, and ordering of supplies.
- Ensure organization and safety of master design files in a shared location for all creative projects.
- Develop and maintain operating procedures and documentation for department workflow.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in graphic design, fine arts, marketing, or other related field, required.
- 5+ years of experience in graphic design or creative management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to manage multiple projects/deadlines with versatility while staying on time and on budget.
- Interact with others using honest, transparent, and positive communication.
- Write and speak accurately and in a tone that others would perceive to be professional.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proactively identify and respond to needs.
- Exercise good judgment.
- Ability to take initiative in identifying and responding to issues as they arise.
- Strong, polished interpersonal, written, and oral communications skills are necessary.
- Customer service orientation desired, including ability to resolve conflicts constructively, and to empathize and understand perspectives of others.
- Ability to travel occasionally.
- Hands on experience with graphic design including logo design, typography, color, web design, print production, and image selection.
- Demonstrated expert creative, innovative, and graphic design abilities with a strong portfolio.
- Incorporate feedback and take/give direction well.
- Understand marketing and copyright concepts as they relate to creative design.
- Expert in all design aspects and principles.
- Ability to understand and leverage staff talent.
- Proven ability to prioritize, execute, and delegate project tasks, adapting to shifting priorities, and mentor team members in a collaborative effort.
- Understand and apply basic supervisory principles involved in motivating people, resolving conflicts, allocating resources, role modeling desired behaviors, and coordinating people and tasks.
- Ability to monitor and assess performance.
- Ability to take into account individual differences in personality, interests, and abilities when directing people as they work and identify the best people to do various jobs.
- Be sensitive to the reactions of others and offer appropriate responses, such that others feel their perspectives are heard and taken into account.
- Use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems and select an appropriate course of action.
- Proficient in commonly used technology platforms and software, including Google Business Applications, Gmail, Adobe Creative Suite, project management software, word processing, and spreadsheets.
- Expert in publishing and graphics software.
- Expert in electronic file organization and managing electronic communications and workflows.
- Works with director of department to manage the workload of the team and prioritize work requests.
- Works with communications team to ensure projects are carried out effectively and efficiently.
- Works with APS staff in other departments to manage relationships with the team.
- Works with external constituents (e.g. unit leaders, members) and specialists (e.g. vendors, consultants) as needed to ensure effective execution of department activities.
- Supervises three graphic designers.
To apply, send cover letter, including salary requirement, resume and portfolio or work samples to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
APS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.